A biblical understanding of culture equips us to engage popular culture sensitively and creatively. Learn to decode culture from a gospel perspective, and to see how every ‘story’ intersects the greatest story ever told.
Understanding culture is a complex task. Christians have to find points of connection and difference with their cultural context to present the gospel clearly. This course helps with that task but goes further to show us how to do that creatively. This course will stretch you to think biblically and creatively about popular culture. It provides you with a theological tool kit to engage with film, music and computer games.
The course covers:
- Key terms: culture, worldview, religion
- A biblical understanding of culture
- Engaging with apologetics: A case of myth-taken identity
- False starts: perspectives that hinder cultural engagement
- Engaging popular culture: popologetics
- Popologetics workshop 1: Jonsi’s music video, “Go Do”
- Popologetics workshop 2: The indie romantic comedy, Ruby Sparks
- Popologetics workshop 3